Menu Planning Board

I have seen quite a few different variations of a menu planning board on Pinterest and I knew it was something I needed in my life. We are constantly asking each other “So what’s for dinner tonight?” so I thought this would be a great way to plan out meals. It will also help use achieve one of our goals this year which is to eat out no more than once a week. We would get in a bad habit that if there wasn’t something planned for dinner, we would just go out to eat.

I started by buying a cheap frame from St. Vincent. Pretty, huh? I took the back off it and then painted the frame black. I added a touch of silver to the detail as well.

113 copy

112 copy

I then cut a piece of sheet of metal to fit the opening so that my menu board would be magnetic. I found a large sheet of galvanized steel at Home Depot over by the duct work supplies. Make sure you use gloves and tins snips when cutting this and be VERY careful not to cut yourself. The edges of the metal will be VERY sharp. I saved the cardboard from the original piece to put on the back to add stability to the sheet metal.

024 copy

I also painted the clothes pins black. Once they were dry, I used small letters and stamped each day of the week on the top of each clothes pin. I then glued small strips of magnets to the back.

187 copy

I searched high and low for a small box that would hold the different meal ideas but when I couldn’t find one I liked, I found a template online and made it myself. I covered it in fabric and added magnets to it, as well.

188 copy

I used a simple template in word to create each of the meal ideas, laminated them and then cut them apart with craft scissors. Make sure you have a few that say leftovers! I also printed my menu board sign and then put them on a light blue background.

189 copy

I found a cute notepad to use as our shopping list.

190 copy

As I was putting the menu board all together, I decided one of the little chalkboard signs I had bought from Target would be the perfect finishing touch as a little message board 🙂

193 copy

I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial of making a menu board. I can’t wait to start using it 🙂 I know it’s going to make my life easier and hopefully help us to eat better. I need to get more healthy options on there!

198

Until next time.

Much love,

Liz

Advertisements
Next Post

14 Comments

1. I love the way it turned out! I usually don’t meal plan for dinner, but I’m seriously thinking that if I had something like this I might actually do it 🙂

• Thanks Trish:) We don’t right now either and it’s making it way too easy to just go out so I’m excited to start putting this to use in our new house. I’m also looking forward to it helping us actually think about trying new recipes. I might add a magnetic binder clip that will hold recipe cards for anything that we might need an actual recipe for. It will be so easy to just grab the card and start cooking 🙂

2. OMG! How cool is this, Liz!! i LOVE it! I especially love those black clothespins with the days stamped on them. Awesome job and I’m totally inspired ;)!

• Thanks Vicky!!! I’m glad you like it. It was a little time consuming but I really wanted it personalized. I just can’t wait to start using it!!

3. Ok – HOW funny that you did a post on this because I have a menu planning board in my kitchen! Really! Mine is much simpler, but same idea! Great minds think alike!! 🙂 Mine has a printed out cute Menu for the week template that I placed inside a frame. I use a vis-a-vis marker to write on top of the glass on the frame over the day for the meal. Boom! Great post! http://www.GlamKaren.com

• Lol That’s awesome Karen:) I used to have something similar for a calendar on our fridge! This was a little more time consuming than a marker board so it might not be for everyone but I’m excited to start using it!

4. Very nice idea. I like how it will keep you on track.

• Thanks Julie! I’m really looking forward to using once we get our new house. I don’t really have a place to hang it up right now so it’s been packed away. I think it’s going to work perfect though 🙂

5. Super cute! Now I really need to have one of these in my life 🙂

• Thanks! Lol that was what I thought when I first saw one!!! They really are nice to have and make life just a little bit easier 🙂

6. Sandy Schroeder

/  January 14, 2015

Nice job Liz! I love how it turned out & now I need to make one too!

• Thanks Sandy!!! I’m so glad you liked it! I’m excited to start using it 🙂 I’m so glad to see you commenting on here!! Totally made my night 🙂

7. livingliferosie

/  January 15, 2015

This is great! We started meal planning about a month ago. I had a dry erase calendar printed with enough room at the bottom for 5 more boxes so we could do our menu planning each week. I use Liquid Chalkers on mine since they write nicer them dry erase markers.